Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Friday, February 13, 2015

#FFFiction What is a woman? Or my look at femininity and gender #FFFiction #lesfic

I invite you to consider what makes a woman. Some Fridays, I'll even share something sexy :D.





Breasts. Labia. Vagina. XX phenotype. How else might you define what "a woman" is? How fast do you get to culturally defined gender roles? All humans have some breast tissue- I've had one breast reduction and would jump at the chance for another; does that make me less a woman? Surgery, both consensual and non-consensual, can create labia; does that make them less womanly? Trans women can have a vagina surgically created, but the organ will never menstruate or produce children; does that make it not a real vagina? I read somewhere that Olympics phenotype testing has found "women" athletes who didn't have that XX, but identified as women. My world, both fictional and real, contains people living within and outside the gender binary. Cisgender, transgender, intersex, genderqueer. These identities and more, I think about as I'm writing, especially as I'm writing "sex scenes," another place I see things outside the binary.

So I'm going to push a little over the word limit with this- I'm currently reading the ARC of the "Love Spanks" anthology (expect my review next Friday), a celebration of FF love. It's still a preorder on Amazon; the release date is 2/14. http://www.amazon.com/Love-Spanks-2015-Collection-Spankings-ebook/dp/B00T6SN8Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423773183&sr=8-1&keywords=Love+Spanks


4 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs Casteel, i think gender is a matter of the mind & heart [yes hormones play a huge part too!] - in britain recently on the news was a boy under ten who believes he's a girl, he dresses as a girl & has changed his name, who is to say he/she is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Clare. I would ask though, when you say "... a matter of the mind & heart..." are we talking about the person whose gender identity we're talking about? Has that 10 year old asked to have feminine pronouns used? I'm not specifically aware of what British child is wanting to transition- gender transition is such a normal thing to me that I don't necessarily notice stories of someone going through one.

      Delete
    2. Typically now i want to find the artical [i saw it on news a month or more ago] i can't find it - but i did find these links http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/22/punish-kids-cross-gender-play-abuse
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-youngest-sex-swap-patient-wants-1403321
      http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/20/health/child-gender-nonconformity/
      this last link has interesting videos
      the comment regards 'a matter of mind & heart' was in reference to the person whose see's themselves as a different gender than what they were born as! i honestly don't think we get to choose! But those around us can choose how they react to us!

      Delete
    3. intriguing links, thanks, Clare, although I admit the tone of the second one pissed me off. Sensationalist and so judgmental. While transgender medical treatment is supposed to be so much better in the UK than the US in many ways (according to trans* people whose accounts I've read), I'm still concerned about how much "passing as a cis person" adds unnecessary stress to trans* lives. The first article did a great job talking about the complicated nature of gender.

      Delete