Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Please Take Some Time to Consider... "Out of the Night: Book One"

If you haven't read my Why is "Out of the Night: Book One" not a "beginning BDSM book" post, please forgive the little bit of education that I feel must happen to present my image of BDSM. As far as what etiquette is expected of submissives, more people than not agree to the idea of "levels of protocol." Low, medium, and high. I liken them to "very little rules," "defined rules for many situations," and "defined rules for all or most situations." I believe The Queen would agree with me that his family of submissives and switches live under medium protocol. On my page on my blog about The Queen, it says "Because he allows this..." and while yes, he is a fictional character, he is the dominant at the focal point of this serial. So The Queen follows a medium protocol? That shows itself in a myriad of ways, from having his submissives divided into four classes and their behavior towards each other influenced by their class to the structure of the introductions. He tells Vala that she will be formally introduced to his slaves and that is exactly what happens. Even as he checks in with specific people, flirts and/or dominates them, each is introduced to Vala- even in the cases of Simon and Tommy, then Adan and Ailin, who approach her together.

So we move from "that's the way The Queen wants it" (why can't I type that without hearing the quote from "Cool Hand Luke"? lol) and that lead into the fact that I'm writing a serial. Not a series because my books don't end in such a way as to make a regular book. And reading out of order really doesn't work. One reader of the first ebook edition of "Night" complained that the introductions are a character dump- part of my response to that is this is only the first book in a serial. Over the next 9 planned books, I hope to enjoy time having Vala interact with all of The Queen's other slaves.

Finally when I sat down to write this post, I asked my beta reader any comments I'd made as she and I were talking about blog tour posts on this topic; she couldn't remember anything I'd said, so I asked her what her experience with the introductions was. Her comment that stuck out for me was that she found all the characters confusing; this lead me to thinking of one simple fact- we're in Vala's POV! Vala is finally meeting The Queen's slaves beyond Simon and Tommy. Up to this point, she's seen their pictures, maybe overheard their names, but without really knowing who each of these people are. Of course Vala is going to be confused and overwhelmed. I may not be writing this in 1st person, but I still have POV characters for different scenes.

And now let me share of snippet from the beginning of the introductions...
(excerpt from "Out of the Night: Book One" Copyright Joelle Casteel 2007-2014.)

"Vala, I want you to sit quietly while I introduce my slaves. When all have been introduced, you will be given a chance to ask them questions. Understand?"

"Yes, my Queen," Vala murmured.

"Tommy, Simon, step forward."

Tommy and Simon walked around the sofa to stand in front of The Queen and Vala. They both knelt on one knee. "My Queen."

Vala bit her lip.

The Queen frowned at Vala. "If you want to be my slave, you will need to learn to enjoy ceremony, or at least indulge my enjoyment of it."

"Of course, my Queen. Please forgive me, my Queen." Vala's bottom lip quivered.

"Yes, you already know quite a bit about Tommy and Simon." The Queen patted the boys' heads. "Tommy, my first slave, for fifteen years now. If you remember, the brat dropped out of art school before I could stop him."

Tommy blushed brightly.

"Not that dropping out has hindered him in creating art." The Queen smiled down on Tommy as he rubbed his thumb across Tommy's lips. He turned his attention to Simon while his hand slid to Tommy's cheek.

"It has been twelve glorious years now that I have had Simon."




"Out of the Night: Book One" blurb

Restless and world-weary, Mearr isn't about to admit she needs anyone's help, even this gorgeous man who has taken her into his home. Well one of his homes and part of this huge family she's heard about but not met all of. She's young, looks young, and knows it but at least she's legal now so she can pick a new name to go with her new life...

The Queen knows he wants Mearr bad, ever since the first time he saw her in the window of the coffeehouse. He has his plan, but even a Dominant's plans don't always survive the unpredictability of the future. He struggles to figure out this temperamental woman he's brought home, how best to help her. Then he takes her to his mansion...

They wait patiently for The Queen to bring Mearr home. Well to the home they've been redecorating for Him and for the hopes that she'll become part of their family and be trained to please Him. Simon and Tommy have seen her, of course, being The Queen's right and left hands; they say she'll be a perfect addition...

Please come along with Joelle on this journey, shared with the readers in serial fashion. A multitude of "Happily-ever-afters" are waiting with the completion of book 9.

Author's Note: This novel is meant for open-minded adults. Activities described include a wide range of BDSM and sexual activities, some of which are male/male, male/female, consensual slavery, oral/anal/vaginal intercourse, bondage. The story also covers some sensitive topics in characters' backstories, such as drug abuse.

Buy it on-
Out of the Night: Book One (Vala's Story) print edition- This is NOT the re-released edition with its editing and additions.
available at Lulu.com's Market Place
or
available on Amazon.com

Out of the Night: Book One (Vala's Story) ebook

Smashwords- multiple formats- https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/417778 . First 20% available as a free sample.

Amazon/Kindle edition
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Night-Book-Valas-Story-ebook/dp/B00BDV8AXY/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=Out+of+the+Night%3A+Book+One

Barnes and Noble/Nook edition
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/out-of-the-night-joelle-casteel/1114516404?ean=2940045758482

Joelle's Bio:

Joelle Casteel has so many faces, ways of being that no assumption is never safe. The woman who'll use a child's backpack as a purse is just as likely to describe a graphic sex act. My Master, the dominant in the BDSM relationship that shapes much of my life, jokes that I'm so far from the mainstream that I've forgotten what the mainstream is. This of course shows up in my writing. I regularly blur gender and sexual orientation lines- although I will fight against the misgendering of my characters (between The Queen's legs are a penis and balls and he says he's a MAN.) Whether a short story or a novel, whether erotica or erotic romance, I tend to bring many taboos to the sex/BDSM table alongside crazy plots, over-the-top characters, and romance even in the midst of relationships you may never find in a greeting card store. With BDSM gaining a broader audience with various books- which she will not name because she can't stand them- she feels it's past time to put out her impression of what BDSM can look like in reality. 

2 comments:

  1. I do love the protocol and ceremony :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :) It is quite lovely to watch. Sometimes I wish Shaman wanted a bit more protocol :D but it's good to write The Queen and what he wants.

      Delete