Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

#WIPiTuP Tabitha takes care of a sick Bina

Sharing WIPs (works in progress) can be so very fun! On this lovely blog hop, enjoy a bunch of authors sharing excerpts of what they're working on- get ready to add some great books to your TBR, once the author publishes :) Although occasionally you may find an author sharing a published work. Give 'em a break- these may just be roughly edited- but please do leave a comment! We authors like to know we're going in a good direction.



Yeah, this scene came to me with me hacking and struggling to breathe. I haven't done as much as I'd like to yet, but I thought this would be an interesting first "seeing each other offline" for Bina and Tabitha. Also as I'm picturing Bina as the spanker, fun to show her needing taken care of. Yes, there are still [nano comments] to be worked on in this :D.

---

Tabitha knocked on the berry red front door.

"Just a moment," Bina's hoarse voice sounded from inside the house.

Tabitha stepped back to study the front of the house as she waited.

It was a cute, little house with its door that reminded her of a mixed berry popsicle and the matching shutters, its slate gray siding. [As I'm not sure the time of the year, I'm waiting to do anything with plants etc.]

Even as haggard as Bina looked with the ravages of the cold, her face shown with surprise. "Tabitha?"

"You posted about being sick and I got it into my head to come take care of you. I hope you don't mind." Tabitha chewed on her bottom lip.

"Of course I don't mind. Come in before Randy and Tom escape." Bina stepped back as she invited Tabitha in with her hand. "I would give you the biggest hug if I didn't want to make you sick too."

"Hopefully the vitamins, juice, and everything else helps," Tabitha said before stepping up to Bina and wrapping her arms around the slight woman.

"I can't believe you came all this way. How many hours did the drive take?"

"About eight, not including the time spent at Kroger buying food. Now that I'm here, you'll have to tell me where you regularly do your grocery shopping because I doubt you drive three hours down to La Crosse just for food."

Bina started to laugh, although she started coughing and leaned into Tabitha as she nearly doubled over.

Tabitha held on to Bina until coughing fit stop and then loosened her grip.

"Help me to my couch please," Bina murmured.

Tabitha wrapped an arm around Bina's waist and helped her to the [have I described] couch that was the focal point of the living room. She eased Bina onto the couch before sitting next to her. "Have you seen a doctor yet?"

Bina shook her head. "No health insurance and this feels like just a bought of the cold. I've been throwing Western and Indian medicine at it."

"Well I have more food to make you soup and other things in my car."

"Aw, thanks." Bina leaned back against her couch. "I'm afraid I've been too worn out to cook much so I haven't really been eating. To answer about groceries stores, there's a co-op in town that I use for small stuff, but I actually do drive the three hours to the Woodman's in Onalaska. They're a little bit farther north than the Kroger you would have gone to. They're an employee owned chain that started in Wisconsin. I think there may be a few Indiana stores now." She lapsed into another coughing fit.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to go to urgent care?" Tabitha held Bina's shaking hand.

"No urgent care here." Bina reached for a glass of juice and took a long drink before putting it back on her end table. "I wish I could help bring stuff in. How long did you think to stay and help? What about Lisa?"

Tabitha gathered Bina to her. "My sister is checking in on Lisa. I brought a few days of clothes, just in case. I didn't realize you were so sick. Why are you out of bed?"

"I was thinking food."

"Let me get you comfortable in your bed and then I'll bring my stuff in and get cooking for you."

Bina laughed although this also wore away into a coughing fit. As the coughs subsided, she whispered, "Here we are, first time together offline, and you're going to get me comfortable in bed so I can go back to sleep."



18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks, Maggie. I thought it was a real fun moment, since I hadn't planned them being together offline the first time until a writer's convention but then this cold struck me the second to last day of Nano and a sick Bina just made sense. My teen has a friend who lives in the area I've settled Bina and I can tell you, for a single female with no support system, it would be a horrible place to be sick.

      Delete
  2. Lovely excerpt Joelle, sweet :) love the description of the house too, and especially the door.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :) I figure Bina would have been awhile in responding, given that she has a pretty bad case of the cold or flu (I'm thinking maybe flu since I gave her a temp at one point) and once I figure out the time of the year in re-writes, I really want to do a bit more since I'm in Tabitha's POV and I figure in her nervousness, she's going to be checking out the front of the house. Since this is a surprise trip.

      Delete
  3. Aww ... so sweet, Joelle! I love how far she traveled ... really shows how much Tabitha cares! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Shelly :) It makes me think of two important long distance relationships in my life and how I didn't have anywhere as far to travel as Tabitha and Bina :D

      Delete
  4. Leaving us at the edge of our seat. Good job Joelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks for the comment, Leigh. I wasn't entirely meaning to be such a tease :D but I'm not sure how much more I've written of "sick Bina" yet

      Delete
  5. It's so touching that Bina is willing to go the distance for Tabitha and offer to care for her while she's ill. I also think it's pretty cool you mentioned Woodmans. I shop there myself ALL the time. They're prices simply can't be beat and the employees are so helpful and friendly.
    Hope your holiday season is going well. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's the reverse- Bina is the sick one and Tabitha goes to her to help. I don't know why I didn't think of you, Melody- I spent a bunch of one morning trying to remember Woodmans' name. my family had gone to Bristol Renaissance Festival and the Jelly Belly factory in Pleasant Prairie. We found Woodmans in Prairie. Funny, we all loved the store and shopped for a lot of the meals we didn't take in restaurants there. We valued Woodmans as somewhere we could satisfy my Master's "meat and potatoes" to my vegan desires :) thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  6. Sweet scene. Love the last line. :) Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. her of a mixed berry popsicle and the matching shutters - fabulous visual. And great tease at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Daryl. That was a nice moment, huh? I didn't have too much in the way of cold meds in me yet :D

      Delete
  8. The cold is autobiographical, no? I hope both of you feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes, although I made Bina sicker than I am- I'm sick enough with this head/chest cold that housework/author work is hard, but not nearly dramatic enough for a book :D I'm sure Bina and I will both feel better in a few days

      Delete
  9. And congratulations for winning Nano! I failed miserably myself, but hey, it wasn't too much of a surprise, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, Tara, you should try Camp Nano, when you get to set your own goal :) Camp happens in April and July. This year was a "by the skin of my teeth." Frustration from a hard year, I started off Nanowrimo expecting not to finish this year, as I did last year when faced by my beloved mother-in-law having a stroke and my Master getting fired for a lame reason. The plot point of Bina coming down with a horrible cold and needing Tabitha's surprise caretaking came in part because I was too sick to handle writing sex :D thanks for the comments

      Delete