Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Health and writing, sorry, not sexy post, but a truthful one

While this could go on the #Taboo2sday hop, I don't want to wait for next Tuesday, nor to fill up the hop with non-sexy stuff. Sometimes it seems like just like we often avoid talk of periods, menstrual cycles in our erotic/romance books, we cisgender female authors are supposed to avoid acknowledging how those bodily issues can affect our writing. For me, with family and personal history, my cycle affects my writing as much if not more so than my bipolar disorder. Right now I'm in the midst of something too many women know- I'm waiting on the proper date to go in for a procedure that will hopefully tell my doctor why my period pain is so bad that my Master's most common order during my period is "Joelle, go lay down now." Today I'm "5 or so days off" from the beginning of my period and I'm already in pain, discomfort. I may or may not finish the last scene to write in "Mommy" (my ageplay/BDSM/spanking menage MFF); I'm still pushing to complete however.

Now I've talked about myself, I want to talk about a friend's short story and the book that it's in. "Milestones"- stories about domestic discipline relationships. Here's its buy link on Blushing Books- http://www.blushingbooks.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2718 . While I loved all my friends' stories in this anthology, I want to direct your attention to Renee Rose's "Unmet Desire." The story's blurb: "Watching his wife unravel as she faces infertility is as heartbreaking for Luis as it is for Claire, but the more compassion he shows, the more she drifts away. Deciding to take a firm hand, he whisks her away to their mountain condo for a weekend boot camp to reaffirm their roles and reignite their passion for one another."  Of course talking about infertility, Renee needed to touch on issues like her heroine's menstrual cycle. I think we need less taboos in writing; Renee does a good job IMHO of showing how to balance the need for sensitive topics and good storytelling.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joelle, I'm sorry you experience so much pain and hope the procedure provides some answers and solutions.

    I absolutely loved Milestones and I agree, Renee did a fantastic job with the subject of infertility.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :). Yeah, I'm hoping for answers too- and my Master to get it together and realize I need Him- when I had to go in for the pelvic ultrasound, He acted like a hurt little boy when we figured out that He wasn't assuming that I'd want Him there. It's not like we live cold, dark, distant BDSM erotica

      Definitely, on how Renee did with infertility. I also appreciated how her health POV came out so clearly in her story

      Delete
  2. Aw, Joelle, thank you so much. That story has all my heart and soul in it-- I'm glad it spoke to you.
    I hope you get some answers (and more importantly, solutions) to your pain. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Renee :) For one thing, I'm glad that unlike your character, I'm not hoping to conceive. My family and personal history just has me a bit anxious; at least the gynecologist didn't think an emergency hysterectomy was necessary. hugs ;)

      Delete