Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

#WIPiTuP Experiencing life and attraction outside the gender binary

Sharing WIPs (works in progress) can be so very fun! On this lovely blog hop, enjoy a bunch of authors sharing excerpts of what they're working on- get ready to add some great books to your TBR, once the author publishes :) Although occasionally you may find an author sharing a published work. Give 'em a break- these may just be roughly edited- but please do leave a comment! We authors like to know we're going in a good direction.





Today I'm sharing the first longer piece from my Nano-novel. I've shared bits in my Nanowrimo Sunday updates, plan to share a bit for next Taboo Tuesday. I may have lost my mind :D It seems when I'm talking about this novel, I outline 3 places I *could* be working: the main story, whatever story Tabitha is working on, whatever story Bina is working on. I'm going to share with you a bit of a short story Bina is working on here. She writes erotic short stories. So you get the project's title, her brainstorming for it, and the beginning of the story.

Bina's characters are named Yuri and Sum.

"Genderqueer around the holidays"

(Bina's brainstorm) Sum- bad Thanksgiving. Yuri- free-thinking family. They meet during a layover that extends to an overnight stay in a hotel. After a passionate night, they exchange emails and promises to be in touch once they get home.
---

The two people stood in front of the arrivals and departures board.

"Delayed," the person with the short black hair grumbled.

"Yeah, time to go wait in line to find out how bad it'll be," Yuri, long green hair still neatly in the braid Mama Rose had fixed that morning, replied.

They walked together to the ticket counter.

"Hello there. Do you have any prediction of how late Flight 501 will be delayed?" Yuri asked the blond ticket agent, who almost looked like a cheerleader, but for a worn expression.

The stress showed in the agent's eyes. "I'm very sorry to say that the flight has had to be rescheduled to tomorrow at noon. If you can show me your ticket, I can set you up in a room in our hotel."

"Oh that is frustrating." Yuri glanced at the agent's name tag. "Well Debbie, I hope for you that not too many people are angry about this. Is it possible to get a double room for my friend and I?" She handed her ticket to ticket agent.

"Can I see... um... his ticket?" Debbie's discomfort became clearer on her face when the spiky haired individual stepped forward.

A smooth tenor voice came out of the ebony face, "Here's my ticket. Thanks."

Debbie typed for a moment. "I have you both in room 108. Please enjoy complementary room service on us." She passed Yuri a plastic room key.

"Thanks again. Will our luggage be moved to this rescheduled plane tomorrow or do we need to collect it from baggage claim ourselves?"

"You're good." Debbie smiled brightly a moment. "Oh and here's a gift certificate to use at the gift shop to make up for any needs like toothbrushes that you need tonight."

"Thanks so much," the ebony smooth-voiced person said and collected the gift certificates.

As they moved away from the ticket counter, Yuri turned to her new friend. "My name is Yuri. I suggest that we go see about what they have in the nearest gift shop. I have most everything I could need for tonight in my bag, except a nightgown."

"I'm Sum." They looked at their bag. "I find myself far less prepared than that. Thanksgiving didn't go so well for me this year."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully room service will make up for it."

Sum threw back their head in laughter. "Maybe. Although I'd prefer a family that wouldn't have issues with a hair style similar to yours."

"May I ask your preferred pronoun before we go much further here? Somehow I'm guessing that the gender binary is part of why your holiday was anything but happy."

"They and them." Sum frowned. "My mother freaked at my chosen first name. My father told me never to come back. Grandma pretended to have a heart attack."

Yuri blinked away the moisture collecting in her eyes. "May I give you a hug?"

Sum finally smiled. "Sure."

Yuri put down her carry-all and turned to Sum. She wrapped her short arms around their big waist and squeezed as she could. She stayed in the moment until Sum relaxed into the hug. She pulled back to whisper, "I think Sum is a very pretty and wonderful unique name."

"Thanks." Sum coughed as if to cover a sob. "Let's go see this store before we make a scene."


Yuri giggled. "Sure."


20 comments:

  1. Great snippet Joelle, enjoyed this. Loved the dialogue between them.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I like where this is going. Room 108.
    I have to ask though. You mention Sum as if he is two people. 'Their waist?' I am a bit confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genderqueer. Preferred pronouns. I'll find some articles and share them on Facebook. Among people who consider gender outside the binary of male/female, there's all sorts of talk about using pronouns in non-standard ways to be inclusive, to be outside the binary. So Sum is one person, but neither male nor female; however "it" (the regular 3rd person non-gendered pronoun) can feel very dehumanizing. Thanks for the comment, Melody

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining that Joelle. I'll admit I don't know very much about this subject.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Melody. I figure it's the least I can do- I have all sorts of friends who are genderqueer, transgender, intersexed, other non-conforming gender expressionists. Unlike them, my very existence (gender-wise) doesn't have to be explained constantly

      Delete
  3. Great snippet, intriguing to re-align the genders, pronouns, and all that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acceptance for who you are is a lovely gift around the holidays. I've a minor quibble - they didn't exchange names before they decided on sharing a room? Or am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, didn't miss anything. Yuri pulls a "mom moment" and takes the obviously "unhappy more than simple dealing with the airport causes" in hand. I've seen it happen in real life, that moment where the two obviously different people are in an ocean of sameness and the one who is comfortable with themselves reaches out to the one who isn't. thanks for the comment, Tara.

      Delete
  5. This was a bit new for me. Idon't think I have ever read anything "genderqueer" is that what you call it. I was confused about the "they and them" as well. Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to Sum for their (Did I use that correctly) family's behavior. Great excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, genderqueer is the correct term. To explain a little bit and put this in context, Jennifer, my Nano-novel this year features 2 erotic romance authors and so I've put in bits of their WIPs. Yes, you handled Sum and their pronoun correctly. Now this being for a call that Bina (one of the main characters) is writing for, I had a word limit that I wrote to, just like when we' authors are actually writing for a call :D This is only maybe the first half or so of what Bina writes and yeah, there is conversation about how Sum's family reacted (a new name they wanted used, the preferred pronouns, and wigs)- in a scene too many people non-normative deal with- Sum's mother cried and asked what she'd done wrong, father said to get out and never come back, grandma had a mock heart attack. thanks for the comment

      Delete
    2. This sounds like it will be an heartbreaking but hopefully inspiring read. I don't have children, but I couldn't imagine ever treating my child this way. It is said that those this is fiction it is true to life.

      Delete
    3. That's good to hear, Jennifer- too many don't feel the same way. I had a friend in my teen years whose father through her down a flight of stairs when she came out as a lesbian before holding a gun to her head and telling her to get out. Bina is an Indian- I have yet to decide if her parents immigrated to the US or an even further back generation of her family, but Indian LGBT folk often have a hard time coming out to their family.

      Delete
    4. I know. I had a friend in college who was gay and from India. He told me some horrific stories. None of it were things to him, but to people he knew or to people he had heard about. I don't understand how people can treat others that way. My mom maw is southern Baptist, but she doesn't treat my cousin, who is gay, any different than she treats the rest of her grandchildren. I guess due to my own open sexuality and the openness of my family, it would never occur to me to treat someone badly for such a reason. Okay, I have to stop talking about this. I'm getting all pissed off. LOL!! You know you have a great piece when people get so personally invested. Thanks for sharing this. :)

      Delete
    5. and thanks for the further comments, Jennifer :) but yeah, talking too much about these stark realities (and not in the place of educational fiction/non-fiction) can be rough

      Delete
  6. Great scene, Joelle. It always hits home for me when a parent "disowns" a child because he/she grows up and chooses to be different than the rest of the family. I know too much about that kind of tragedy, and loved the emotion in this piece!

    ReplyDelete