Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

#WIPiTuP Vala enjoys the Rape of Persephone- not literally

Sharing WIPs (works in progress) can be so very fun! On this lovely blog hop, enjoy a bunch of authors sharing excerpts of what they're working on- get ready to add some great books to your TBR, once the author publishes :) Although occasionally you may find an author sharing a published work. Give 'em a break- these may just be roughly edited- but please do leave a comment! We authors like to know we're going in a good direction.


I decided for this last pre-NaNoWriMo #WIPiTuP that I wanted to share a snippet from the "birthday scene" that kicked off the whole week long rewrite of "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three"- whole scenes removed or moved within the manuscript, others seriously rewritten, a net gain of 10662 words. During NaNoWriMo, I may be sharing from my Nano-novel- working title "Tabitha and Bina in Love." "Two erotic romance authors meet online, fall in love, and engage in a long distance relationship."

I plan on doing a special bit of fiction- related to Vala- on Halloween itself, or Winternights or Samhaine as it's thought of by the pagans in her family.



A few moment later the main lights started lowering.

The heavy purple curtains pulled back to show a gaunt man dressed all in the black standing alone caught in a glaringly white spotlight.

"Welcome all to this rendition of Greek myths shown in their frightening splendor as retold by Michaela from Crete. Things will be a bit different tonight. You can no doubt hear the musical orchestra tuning their instruments, but we will also have a Greek chorus, a group of men standing of the side of the main action. Well we think they are all men." The man bowed low and then the curtains closed again.

"Oh!" Vala gasped. Wow! Maybe I can beg to go down on Greta at bedtime?

After a few more moments of musical swirls, there was an almost complete silence from the orchestra pit forward.

Then a lone high pitched note- maybe a flute?- broke the silence as the curtains opened on two scenes. A group of people in black robes holding ceramic faces, smiling faces, in front of their own to one side of the stage. On the other, two young girls danced among a bunch of paper flowers.

More instruments joined the flute as the chorus chanted. "The only daughter of a goddess alone with her handmaiden. Shouldn't she be better protected?"

A crash of cymbals rang out. The light on the girls went grey. A stunningly tall man draped in cobwebs of fabric appeared seemingly out of nowhere beside the girls.

"You will come with me, Persephone, and be a light in my darkened sphere of control!" the man ordered, almost sang.

The girl with the vibrant deep blonde hair cowered against the other girl. "Please, my mother expects me soon."

The man rose up in front of the black haired girl. "Tell fair Demeter that Persephone fell through a crack in the earth."

A sound like a gun shot rang out before smoke filled the stage. One half of the curtain fell leaving only the chorus on stage when the smoke cleared.

"Whatever will Demeter do when her sweet Persephone does not appear home." The chorus had changed back to the smiling masks. Then the curtain fell in front of them.

Vala relaxed against Iona.

Iona and Greta exchanged a smile.

A somber song started among a few parts of the orchestra just before the curtains pulled up to reveal a new scene.

The chorus chanted, "Persephone finds herself in the dank palace of Hades, the Lord of the Dead. No sustenance may pass her lips or the consequences will be grave."

"No! I will not eat your food!" The blonde turned away from a plate of delicacies held in front of her by a stooped, wretched man.

Another approached her from the opposite direction, a different assortment of foods on his plate.

"No! No!" She dragged the knuckles of her fists down her cheeks as if she cried.

"I have something you might like. The man who had demanded Persephone come with him came from behind her chair with one bright white seed on his palm. "Enjoy just this one pomegranate seed. It shall sustain you."

Persephone glanced up and tilted her head to look at the man. "I know I mustn't eat anything while I'm in this world of shades. Please don't make me."

"But you're so hungry," he taunted. "Just one seed can't hurt. Can it?"

Persephone's blood red lips parted. "But I shouldn't."

"For me?" He brought his hand close to her chin. "Let me hear you say please again."

"Please... I need to go back to the gods above."

The man tipped the seed into Persephone's open mouth. He pushed on her chin, forcing her mouth to close as the string instruments rose by themselves.

The chorus chanted, "Now Persephone has accepted food from Hades' own palm. She can never go home again."

Vala pressed her legs together, grateful for her long, covering dress. Greek myths shouldn't turn me on.

"I can see we'll have fun in the limo on the way home," Iona murmured.


14 comments:

  1. This was great Joelle, I bet there will be some fun on the way home :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :) yup, fun was had on the way home.

      Delete
  2. I love how Vala is thinking about goinf down on Greta while waiting for the performance :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of course Greek myths can be sexy :D I had Emily Tilton as my wonderful inspiration for it :D thanks for the comment, Tara

      Delete
  3. Ooooo... I love Greek mythology. Is the theater piece they're watching an actual Greek Myth? I don't recall it if it is, and I really like what you've done with it. Persephone and the white shinning pomegranate seed. Being trapped in Hades. Oh the dark and delicious things that will undoubtedly happen to her in hell.
    Great excerpt for Halloween, Joelle... Loving it ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used big chunks of one of the Persephone myths to write the play. I took some artistic license :D like there is no "Hades popping a pomegranate seed into Persephone's mouth" in any telling of the myth that I read, but oh what a sexy moment :D However it was the seed that it said to be the thing she finally ate that required the solution of spending winter in the underworld with Hades. I bet you can't wait to read the other myth that I turned into a play piece :D- my BR on Vala has "Skipping..." and will start it December. Hoping sometime winter to get it out. thanks for the comment, Melody

      Delete
  4. I'm with Tara here ... I giggled at Vala thinking about going down on Greta before the performance even started ... and looks like fun will be had on the way home. "Greek myths shouldn't turn me on." Nice one, Joelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D thanks for the comment, Shelly. Obviously I need still more caffeine as I had to go re-read the excerpt- I was wondering that Vala was thinking before the play started. I realized that I was thinking the MC as being "the play has started" :D. Poor Vala is overwhelmed and overstimulated... and it's Greta's bday outing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, that was funny with Vala but seriously, I love the story of Persephone! It's so romantic and dark... well done Joelle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Natasha. Yeah, when I was thinking on Greek myths- it was one of my best friends growing up. I surprised and delighted my son when I put down the Greek myth book during home education time and just told him the myths :D- Persephone came to me as a great one to retell

      Delete
  7. Persephone and Hades is one of my favourite Greek mythology bits too! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Tara :) It just seems one of the myths that are good for BDSM tinges. It was funny, when I was trying to pick the myths to tell, I was talking to my Master and said "I'm trying to think of a myth where Zeus fucks a mortal woman." He replied "Doesn't narrow the list down" lol

      Delete
  8. Persephone ... made me think of a song and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember it. Something about a light that shines on Persephone. Not here though, this is dark. And delicious. WELL PLAYED, Joelle! Wait, just remembered. Song is old, Wishbone Ash. Well my work here is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I may have to go look for the song on youtube- I already have the humor of "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown"- which my teen asked if I'd already looked on youtube.com for :D delicious is good :D well you know, in the painting "the Rape of Persephone" there is actually a column of light. thanks for the comment, Sheri :)

      Delete