Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

#WIPiTuP At a New Age book store as a family

Sharing WIPs (works in progress) can be so very fun! On this lovely blog hop, enjoy a bunch of authors sharing excerpts of what they're working on- get ready to add some great books to your TBR, once the author publishes :) Although occasionally you may find an author sharing a published work. Give 'em a break- these may just be roughly edited- but please do leave a comment! We authors like to know we're going in a good direction.



Having finished the "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three" rewrite, I'm about to get to work on my BRs' comment on "Mommy"- never fear, you may get more "Mommy" once I've secured a publisher for it. The "Skipping..." rewrite was hard though. I'd only meant to add a birthday scene, but I found each little thing I changed for continuity avalanched into a dozen more changes. I found myself deleting, moving, saving for later scenes of hundreds of words (in one case that I checked, it was over 2000 words!). This week, I've decided to share a shopping scene that became sadly unusable because of detail changes.

---
"Thanks, my primitive Prince." Vala giggled. "Primitive, really, my primitive Prince?"

Prince Synn rolled his eyes at Vala.

"But thanks so much for the little reassurance at Joys and Sorrows, my primitive Prince. I was about to chicken out, my primitive Prince."

"Well many of the members of our church are coming around to polyamory, especially when faced with happy, open families like ours."

"Vala!" Erik ran up to Prince Synn and Vala. "Not-Vati!"

Prince Synn laughed. "Don't you love it? I'm 'not daddy'."

Vala lifted Erik to her hip as the three of them continued into the New Age book store. "Well it isn't the worst thing he could call you, Sir," she teased.

"I saw Reverend Evelyn lent you some books." Prince Synn paused in front of a display of spell candles.

"Yeah, she has a notion that the books coming from her will aid in the 'free and responsible search for truth and meaning' for me, Sir."

"Very wise." Prince Synn turned to Vala. "Here, let me take him. He's getting big."

"Thanks, Sir." Vala smiled as Iona joined them. "Hi, Iona." She squealed and did a little hip-shaking dance. "Oh oh... my..." She looked up at Erik. "Iona."

"Why am I suddenly hearing My Sharona?" Prince Synn grinned.

"What got you excited, sweet?" Iona patted Vala's arm.

"That little sculpture there, Iona." Vala pointed at a small ceramic sculpture of a centaur. "I would very much like that please, Iona."

Iona hugged Vala to her. "Let's take it to The Queen so you can ask him."

The group moved to The Queen who stood in front of a weapons' display.

Vala waited until The Queen looked down at her. "Sir, I would very much please like to have the sculpture that Iona is holding. Please."

Iona held out the sculpture to The Queen.

"Yes, sweet. You may have it." The Queen smiled at Erik. "Synn, let me hold my boy."

Laughing, Prince Synn passed Erik to The Queen. "So the Horned God, Vala?"

Vala shrugged. "For some reason, in my reading, Sir, I keep getting drawn back to him, feeling more comfortable with him, than the Goddess. Isn't that weird, Sir?"

"Not necessarily. Come to the books with me. They may have a title I'd like to recommend to you."

Vala nodded her head to The Queen and Iona before following after Prince Synn. She stopped beside him in front of a book shelf.

"This one. You should read it." Prince Synn handed Vala a book.

(book recommendation moved elsewhere in "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three)

"Thanks, Sir, for the recommendation." Vala giggled. "I'm going to have to work to balance this reading around my training."

"I'm sure The Queen and Iona will help you with that, if learning about paganism is really important to you."

Vala nodded. "Thanks, Sir." How weird, this conversation. Not quite what I'd expect of my Master's best friend.


16 comments:

  1. My Sharona? I'm a big fan of musical references, and it was great to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh yeah, it just flowed, with her name Iona. I wish I could figure some way to insert it back in, but it is saved in my fiction pieces file on the off chance that something comes to me :D thanks for the comment, Maggie

      Delete
  2. Loved this Joelle, such a shame this scene is unusable. Loved the reference to My Sharona too :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :) Yeah, I like this scene as one of those that actively shows Vala managing to balance being a submissive while remembering (well she had the small slip that caused Prince Synn to make the "My Sharona" joke) how to do it acceptably in front of Erik the toddler

      Delete
  3. I like the way Erik gets passed from hand to hand in this scene. They all care so much about him and it shows.
    The I'm 'not daddy' comment is quite endearing. It's so cute how kids pronounce and understand things at that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Melody. Having Prince Synn here was so much fun. I can imagine, even though he has no children of his own, that being The Queen's best friend, that this is how it would happen. :D and "not daddy"- yup because looking almost The Queen's twin, of course a two year old mind would make best-friend-twin-looking into "not daddy" lol

      Delete
  4. Great snippet Joelle! I did love the My Sharona joke. ;-) I hope that the revisions for Mommy go well. It was a really great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Meredith. heh the joke, that is so Synn, that most likely will be salvageable later in the serial. Yeah, revisions will be good. ATM I'm still under "you take it easy" orders from my Master lol- stupid cramps

      Delete
  5. Nice scene! Here's one more who loved the "My Sharona" reference! :) I also enjoyed how they passed Erik around. Feel better, Joelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Shelly :) and thanks for the wishes. I'm taking it easy, debating a wine cooler :D

      Delete
  6. Great scene. Like everybody else - loved the My Sharona reference - except now the song is in my head.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment and the tweet, Daryl :) lol at the song in your head.

      Delete
  7. Interesting scene Joelle. Lots of interaction. Hope you feel better too.

    ReplyDelete