Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Vala's Bisexuality Becomes Evident- complete article

I first shared a snippet of this article on the Seductive Studs and Siren blog hop. Here's that link- (you can use it to continue on to my fellow hoppers that weekend)- http://joellecasteel.blogspot.com/2014/08/seductivesns-valas-bisexuality-becomes.html . What follows is the entire article:


With the release of "Gates of the Garden: Book Two" of my Vala's Story serial, I had so many thoughts of what I wanted to talk about in regards the continuing story.

What does is mean to be bisexual? I've pondered this question- you see, as a 15 year old, I came out as bisexual. While my parents didn't give me any more sexual education than Vala got from her parents (although thankfully my dad wasn't/isn't a lecherous pedophile like Vala's father), I managed some of my own escape act as a teen and learned stuff they didn't care for me to learn. I don't remember what her name was, but we all called her Cat and I thought she was the most beautiful being. Her touch felt much better than many of the only slightly interested guys I did whatever with. I didn't want to stop interacting physically with guys though; I came to the term bisexual. Then I started hearing the various myths that I'd never really heard or at least recognized as "myths about bisexuality and bisexuals."

"Bisexuals are promiscuous." "Bisexuals can't be monogamous." "Bisexuals need to have sex with both men and women." "Bisexuals are just gay people who can't let go of heterosexual privilege." Those are just five common myths about bisexuals and yes, I've heard every one of them, sometimes directly to my face. I've also seen these myths taken on in academic, activist books like Julia Serrano's "Excluded." However for myself, for a variety of reasons, I've come to feel more comfortable with the identity label queer, as it's been reclaimed by the queer community.

Are you wondering what those paragraphs have to do with "Gates of the Garden: Book Two," Vala's Story, or Vala herself? In "Out of the Night: Book One," Vala asks if everyone is basically bisexual and Iona replies, "to some degree, yes." I enjoy the vagueness of Iona's answer and it leads me to think of a promo where I asked "Can you imagine a world where sexual orientation labels don't exist?" When it comes to the sexual and BDSM interactions in the world of Vala's Story, gender matters less to me except when genital-based sexual activities are happening.

As a reader and writer of BDSM erotic romance, I am used to labels; however when used to label a book, "bisexual" seems to full of those myths I mentioned above, at least in the way some readers will receive it. One important function of the bisexual label in regards to a book seems to be "person of one gender has sexual activity with both genders." Beyond the erasure of individuals outside the main male/female gender system (and yes, I do have such characters, like Lady Audrey who identifies as a trans woman), the expectation seems to be that the person will actively be shown engaging with both men and women sexually. For the Seductive Studs and Sirens blog hop- its focus being GLBTQIA+ literature- I struggled to find appropriate snippets from the first Vala's Book- "Out of the Night: Book One."

So if I'm to share a snippet from "Gates of the Garden: Book Two" here, what do I share? Do you need to see Vala engaged in sexual activity with a man and a woman at the same time? In part, I say that her bisexuality becomes more obvious in "Gates..." because in this book, there are more times when she's involved sexually with "both" genders than she was shown in "...Night...". This question mirrors some of the difficulty in my own life, where appearances can seem to say my life is hetero-normative. Because "appearances" aren't always what they seem, I want to remind those who've enjoyed reading pieces of Vala's Story on places like my blog or are just coming to Vala's Story, The Queen is very much a male-bodied person, regardless of his seemingly feminine name.

Excerpt from "Gates of the Garden: Book Two" Copyright Joelle Casteel 2014.

Her movements aggressive, Iona kissed Vala, their heads pressed against The Queen's chest. "Pretty, pretty girl," she murmured against Vala's lips.

Vala gazed into Iona's eyes. "My Lady." She adoringly returned the soft, yet forceful kisses.

The Queen moved one of Vala's hands to Iona's neck and one of Iona's hands to Vala's crotch. "That looks lovely."

Iona pressed her lips to The Queen's chest; she groaned and moved two of her fingers into Vala. "My Queen!" she gasped.

"I saw Vala's fingers touching you. Now I would see you touch her."


blurb:
Vala is very comfortable in her new life, her new name. She's hopelessly in love, with The Queen, with Iona, with life. She's learning about BDSM and knows The Queen has many surprises, lessons planned for her. She's looking forward to ceremony day...

The Queen considers, stresses, ponders. Sometimes he goes to Simon for help, especially since Tommy messed up so bad. He's considering things in the long term as he watches Vala blossom into what he wants her to be...

Things are settling down and they aren't for the rest of the stable. Tommy did so mess things up, but at least there's Vala's training to entertain, to occupy the stable as The Queen uses them in the ways he needs. Abrecan, Orlee, and Gaelan struggle to come to terms with what one decision did to their lives in the stable...

Please come along with Joelle on this journey, shared with the readers in serial fashion. A multitude of "Happily-ever-afters" are waiting with the completion of book 9.

Author's Note: This novel is meant for open-minded adults. Activities described include a wide range of BDSM and sexual activities, some of which are male/male, male/female, group sex, consensual slavery, oral/anal/vaginal intercourse, bondage. The story also covers some sensitive topics in characters' backstories, such as drug abuse, childhood abuse, religious abuse.

Buy links:

Smashwords- multiple formats-
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/417778 . First 20% available as a free sample.

Amazon/Kindle edition
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Garden-Book-Valas-Story-ebook/dp/B00MYP1AG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408802117&sr=1-1&keywords=Gates+of+the+Garden%3A+Book+Two

Barnes and Noble/Nook edition
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gates-of-the-garden-joelle-casteel/1120186938?ean=2940150565302

Author bio:

Joelle Casteel has so many faces, ways of being that no assumption is ever safe. The woman who'll use a child's backpack as a purse is just as likely to describe a graphic sex act. My Master, the dominant in the BDSM relationship that shapes much of my life, jokes that I'm so far from the mainstream that I've forgotten what the mainstream is. This of course shows up in my writing. I regularly blur gender and sexual orientation lines- although I will fight against the misgendering of my characters (between The Queen's legs are a penis and balls and he says he's a MAN.) Whether a short story or a novel, whether erotica or erotic romance, I tend to bring many taboos to the sex/BDSM table alongside crazy plots, over-the-top characters, and romance even in the midst of relationships you may never find in a greeting card store. With BDSM gaining a broader audience with various books- which she will not name because she can't stand them- she feels it's past time to put out her impression of what BDSM can look like in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment