Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

#Taboo2sday The taboo of religion in erotica

Take a risk and try something a little taboo with me? D I promise you'll find delights and scares depending on how adventurous you are




erotica and religion
I'm acting a blogger this week, my thoughts on the above taboo in erotica.

Recently a BR cautioned against the amount of religion in a manuscript, that it could offend some reader. I admit to rolling my eyes, saying to my best friend, "but religion's part of life and it's part of how/why these women connect." Of course I've already blogged on this topic, even as The Queen from "Vala's Story." I don't know, maybe I follow a Marilyn Manson-sort of aesthetic with my art, but since erotica has such power to offend, why this taboo of religion in it "because it might offend"?


6 comments:

  1. lol it is kind of funny that people who edit erotica tend to have this thought of "this might offend some people". Maybe we should have the come back "Good! That's what I'm going for!" After all, if you don't offend anyone, you're not doing something right ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Raya! It seems ridiculous to me, this notion of avoiding something in erotica to avoid offense. It's like the portion of the Taboo Tuesday stuff that Sheri Savill quotes on her TT posts- in part, taboos are about likes and dislikes. I for one love Marilyn Manson and can't think of any thing of his that I've ever not enjoyed, but I have a nuanced interaction with it. He's not just trying to shock, but to teach as well. So in erotica, I don't want to just turn the person on, I want to teach- in multiple meanings of the word :D

      Delete
  2. That's why I love Taboo Tuesday. It's the only place where we all acknowledge that the best erotica lives at the edge of offense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Emily :) I love that- the best erotica lives at the edge of offense :)

      Delete
  3. Could not agree more with what Emily and Raya said. I find hypocrisy in this appalling and so in-my-face, and sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who sees it. This hop is a great reality check and tells me that no, I'm not the only one (in more ways than one). THANK GOD. SWIDT? YES YOU DO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Sheri :) Yeah, this hop is great for that, even when we're sharing stuff and saying shit like "yeah and this is why I'm self-publishing THIS." heh although now I'm pondering the fan fic Shaman challenged me to write since I'm all weepy and worried

      Delete