Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

#WIPiTuP ... Changes and ponderings about polyamory

Sharing WIPs (works in progress) can be so very fun! On this lovely blog hop, enjoy a bunch of authors sharing excerpts of what they're working on- get ready to add some great books to your TBR, once the author publishes :) Although occasionally you may find an author sharing a published work. Give 'em a break- these may just be roughly edited- but please do leave a comment! We authors know we're going in a good direction.




Last week after getting to enjoy some of a lesson scene in which Mandisa ordered Vala to get her a drink, Melody said, "I just finished Gates Of The Garden and was hoping for an excerpt from book 3 *pouts*
However I see that Vala has learned to serve Mandisa without being frightened of her. So I'm thinking there are some interactions between her and Vala in book three that help her feel more comfortable around her." When I went to "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three" to find a scene that would respond to Melody's comment, I found a problem- there were only 3 possible snippets, 2 of which involved a major plot twist that I haven't revealed much about on my blog. Examining the snippet I ended up choosing, I realized a problem of snippetting about a polyamorous relationship, especially given the time jumps and sorts of scenes that Vala chose to share in "Skipping"- especially coming from a monogamous mind, it can be hard to see how different relationships within a polyamorous relationship affect others. I think of this like when things were going wrong with ex and me, Shaman could see it, even if He wasn't physically there for the fight, only its aftermath. In this scene, Vala isn't even there- this comes after the slew of ceremonies in "Skipping" and from one of the post-ceremony celebration scenes. However, even though Vala isn't there right then, one would have to think that the things commented on in the scene are ones that Vala would see at some point.

(from "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three"- which is currently with my BR and I hope to have published before 2015 dawns)

Simon smiled and laid his head against The Queen's chest. His gaze moved to Mandisa, Jinny, and Chitra. He patted Jinny's head.

Jinny stopped kissing Chitra to look up at Simon, smiling. "My Lord?"

"Just noticing some subtle changes Mandisa has made recently in how she treats you two." Simon moved his head to The Queen's shoulder.

"Oh, it's been wonderful, my Lord," Jinny sighed, her eyes lighting up as they moved to Mandisa for a moment. "She has been spending more time paying attention to us, my Lord."

"Not to say she is being any less strict, just different, my Lord." Chitra whimpered at Mandisa's gaze resting on her.

"Of course not." The Queen blew Mandisa a kiss.


Mandisa smiled and set her notebook aside. Affectionately she smiled down on Jinny and Chitra. "I've been spending more time just talking with them, my Lord. I fear that my behavior has led me to forget the personalities of these darling slaves you have given me authority over, my Queen."

The Queen nodded. "Would the three of you like to go spend some time in a small playroom until dinner?"

Mandisa smiled at Chitra and Jinny, her eyes on the stairs. Jinny and Chitra nodded their heads.

"Thank you, my Queen." Mandisa grabbed Chitra and Jinny's hands.

"Go on then. Spend some time alone." The Queen laughed.

Chitra and Jinny smiled at Mandisa and then The Queen. "Thank you, my Queen."

Mandisa helped Jinny and Chitra to their feet. Letting go of their hands, she wrapped an arm around each of their waists and they started walking to the stairs.

Once Mandisa, Chitra, and Jinny disappeared at the top of the stairs, Simon murmured, "It's wonderful to see the changes in Mandisa, my Queen. I don't think I've ever seen her behaving in quite this manner."

"Yes, it is refreshing," The Queen agreed.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the snippet from book 3 Joelle and for showing a bit more about Mandisa and how she interacts with the slaves. In this case, with Jinny and Chitra. In 'Gates Of The Garden' I pictured Mandisa as a stern and exacting woman. Kind of 'stiff' if you will. But in this scene and the fact that Simon comments on the changes he sees in her as well as the way Mandisa affectionately puts her arms around the girls I'm drawing a whole new picture about the woman the Queen calls his Amazon.

    I get a much more playful feel about Mandisa from this scene. Especially when the girls are eager to go to the playroom with her.
    Thanks for choosing this snippet, Joelle ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thanks for the comment, Melody. Well if you think on the hierarchy, Jinny and Chitra are the fourth class who are under Mandisa's direct domination. And actually, the journey from stern and exacting to a more nuanced domination is part of what's shown in book 3. Although it's less actively shown as I explained above, Vala of course gets to see much of it.

      Delete
  2. Great snippet Joelle! Love all the interactions going on here and how Simon comments on the changes in Mandisa.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Roz. I love these moments when Simon's there (or even The Queen) but they aren't the focus of the moment.

      Delete
  3. It IS nice to see the changes in Mansisa! Nice snippet, Joelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Megan. While I've never thought to make her a really more relaxed dominant, I do like my doms (even when they're switches like Mandisa) to be more nuanced, certainly not a perfect alpha

      Delete
  4. Great snippet - my first time here - but I could feel the scene.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Daryl, and welcome to the hop- I can't wait to get over to your blog to read. I do enjoy this scene- there's lots of surprises and playing with of format in the book I snippetted from- I'm sure people with love it too :)

      Delete
  5. Great snippet Joelle! Mandia has changed and I'm glad that the Queen and Simon noticed that! I can't wait for next week to hear about Mandisa, Chitra, and Jinny's play time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hm, I might have to write that as an extra-novel scene, share it on Monday, and tag you, Meredith as their play time isn't actually shown among all the post ceremony scenes. That sounds like fun actually since I have nothing planned yet for my Monday fiction :D thanks and thanks for the comment

      Delete
  6. A little fun in the play room - do share with us an extra scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well playroom(s)- the playrooms under discussion in this scene are 8 themed rooms upstairs from where they're celebrating. When I sit down to write the extra scene, I'll have to consider the relative merits of each room, which ones Mandisa has stated preferences for; like if I was to write the scene now, I'd pick the "Isis temple," which is admittedly her most preferred playroom, and I'd stay away from the panned room, which is simply too intense for Mandisa's mood. But that leaves 6 other rooms to consider. thanks for the comment, Jaye :) I'll make sure to tag you too

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the snippet, Joelle. And I wouldn't mind watching a little fun in the playroom! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol now how'd this get started :D ? are we already friends on fb, Shelly? or do you just need to remember to come to my blog on Monday :D? thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete