Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

#SpanksA2Z ... J is for Job

So I debated signing up for Taboo Tuesday; this just doesn't seem very fitting. However I've included the linky tool for the hop for those who'd like to continue on from this post to the Taboo Tuesday posts.




One thing spanking fiction has given me is a place where the submissive partner (because yes, sadly from my polyamorous perspective, most spanking fiction shows monogamous couples) often has the job of staying home, being the homemaker. That's a comforting image for me. While the reasons why are complex, I've bee a homemaker for about a decade now. Many other pieces of my identity, interests, & beliefs make this tricky and often uncomfortable. But spanking fiction gives me a place to see subs engaging in the same job I do. And since more often than not, the female-identified person stays home- contrary to what's expected now in the US- I also get that moral support- to make that one more choice that puts me outside the mainstream.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Joelle, I see there are a number of interesting 'J' posts today. Great post! I hadn't really thought about it but yes, I guess a lot of spanking fiction portrays the submissive as a home maker. A very important job that is sadly not always given the credit it deserves.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hugs, thanks for the comment, Roz. Yeah, I've just seen some of the J posts as I was promoting my own- lots look good today. I hope to do better reading others' posts :) But definitely, the whole issue with "home maker." I'm not old enough for the beginning of women's lib, the fight to let women work outside the house- although to me, that's always a very white, a very middle class thing- poor and/or women of color often didn't have the luxury of staying home, but I digress- it seems that in getting the right to work outside the house, we've forgotten how to respect women and even some men now who do stay home to run the house.

      Delete
  2. I think homemaker is a more difficult job than actually working outside of the home some days - especially when there are kids involved. I think sometimes my husband thinks I'm eating chocolates in front of the TV all day...so not reality. Via my writing, I find connection and friendship during the days. Otherwise, it's a fairly lonely existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Natasha. Yeah, my Master seems to not have an idea of what I do, this is even more frustrating not that with His injury and health issues, He's off work so He sits in His recliner all day. He misses how my out-of-my-chair activity comes in spurts... doing a bunch of dishes because teen isn't helping out, spending time with teen on something academic (he who is home educated), up and down the stairs with laundry- we have 13 large basement steps which even without laundry are difficult for my tiny legs (I'm only 4'11"). But yeah, often enough, I have that "why am I cleaning? You both will just make another mess in a few seconds" lol. And yes, the loneliness. Like those days when I'll happily stand there and talk to the cashier because there's no one in line behind me and ze started talking to me

      Delete
  3. An important job that is often diminished as "just a house wife". Homemaker is a much better term--someone who makes a home for her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. although even homemaker is diminished too :( As I reminded me sister-in-fact (joking term for my brother's girlfriend and sister's best friend), my mother once said to me "You don't need to bother about your appearance because no one important sees you"- this was said comparing me to my sister-the-Realtor. thanks for the comment, Celeste

      Delete
  4. I stayed home for many years taking care of everyone . There were times when I home schooled, subbed and managed all without a break! Being a homemaker is a job I loved even if society negates that as unimportant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Minelle. I'm glad that my Master is one who actually prizes the importance of homemaking, even if it's often a struggle for me- my mother didn't teach me a lot of anything, but specifically not the skills of running a home

      Delete