Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Sunday, June 1, 2014

#SpanksA2Z ... A is for ass- Spanking Romance Reviews Spanking A to Z Challenge

The authors of the spanking community and Spanking Romance Reviews have been incredible warm to me, even though I write BDSM erotic romance, while my reading interests are far wider, including spanking romance among many genres.

If you haven't read my dear Vala bratting about the challenge for Saturday Spankings, please hop over here too.
http://spankingromance.com/the-june-spanking-a-z-challenge-spanka2z/

While we'll come back to word choice for W later this month, I wanted to kick of the spanking challenge with ass. In spanking fiction, whether focusing on platonic or romantic relationships, the buttocks gets a lot of attention. When it comes to my own writing, I prefer the word ass. It has a power, a resonance for me that words like butt, buttocks, cheeks etc just don't have. I actually have a round of jokes between my BR, myself, and my teen- he couldn't help but overhear my vents when my editor said I used the word ass too many times in a spanking scene (did the math BTW- less than 1% of the words in the scene was the word ass). Yes, so much more venting when I get to "w is for word choice."

So we have a fun month ahead. Some posts will be short, others longer. It'll be fun to see what sparks my interest, as well what the author bloggers do :) I love the spanking community! :D


20 comments:

  1. Hi Joelle, looking forward to you posts. Great A word! Ass (or arse) definitely works better for me too :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz :) yup, ass is good :D As my Master would laugh sharing my vent- "She'll yell- it's erotica, meant for adults, why can't they use adult words?" :D

      Delete
  2. I think it will be fun to, if I can keep up. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Stevie :) I'm hoping for a fun month of reading :)

      Delete
  3. one percent isn't over use...is it? anyway, sometimes repetition of a word serves only as emphasis :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it wasn't even a full 1% lol, but my editor felt the word was overused. I know there are those who like to change word use up- like thinking of the spanking thesaurus on Cara Bristol's site- but for me, I like consistency in anatomy word choice.

      Delete
  4. I love the term ass as well. During one scene, since I didn't want to be redundant I had to scour the internet looking for other words besides, ass, butt, bottom, cheeks, etc. I found some odd ones, too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh yeah, there're some interesting words out there. I find when I want to mix things up a bit, I tend to focus on the part of the ass. thanks for the comment

      Delete
  5. I love reading about different sensibilities. What's hot, what's not. I know in writing I'm always much more careful than I am IRL. Of course, those IRL know what to expect from me, others not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's an interesting way to see it, Leigh. thanks for the comment. I'm not sure about what pieces of my life experience have led to it exactly- probably too many to really see a cause-effect- but "careful" isn't something I quite experience in the way many others seem to. It seems easy enough to put it on how much of my social life is online that "in writing" doesn't feel the same to me either; some of my closest friends, I've never met IRL and very likely never will because we live too far apart

      Delete
  6. As an adult it is ASS or Arse, a kid has a butt! Great start to the alphabet! You kicked Ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Kathy :) yeah, butt is a kid word. As a mom and an educator, I have all those words like behind, butt, potty etc... to me, those are words you use with a kid. I'm not writing for kids so those aren't the sort of words I like to use

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I'm familiar with a bit of your word choice rants! W will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Rayanna, thanks for the comment. hehe my rants precede me :D thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  8. W is just too far away! Will there be other rants before then? :)

    Thanks so much for being part of the A to Z Challenge Joelle! Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe of course you know I'll manage to rant about something before we get to W, Celeste :D thanks for the comment. it's fun- I enjoy sharing my perspective of mostly writing BDSM, while enjoying some play with spanking/DD, although that's much more of my reading.

      Delete
  9. How many more days until we get to "W"? I'm a newbie with the blogging community and I'm looking forward to what everyone comes up with:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D potentially quite a few, Rhonda. not knowing if you read the rules (for those of us taking part in the posting), but we can chose to post on Saturdays or to skip (to take part in the Saturday Spankings blog hop) and then have posts all the way until June 30th. I'm unsure which option I'll follow just yet. thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  10. I like the word ass for contemporary, too! I use a lot of "bottom" in historicals-- that sounds so silly here... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh definitely, in historical, ass usually has little to no place. thanks for the comment, Renee

      Delete