Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

#dungeoncrawl ... "How is The Queen Gorean?"


When a scheduling thing needed to be fixed, I decided this would be good for Romancing the Kink's Dungeon Crawl. Thanks as always to Romancing the Kink for hosting this.


When a scheduling change made some moving around necessary, I decided that this would be a good post for the Crawl.

The Turian style collar that my Master happily got me to wear. "Turian style" is a notion from the Gor books.
"The Chronicles of Gor" by John Norman- a series of about 30 books- we have quite a few on a book shelf. While it wasn't until after I was an adult into BDSM that I found them, my sci-fi loving Master found them as a teen. I have read that John Norman hadn’t intended to created a sub-culture, certainly not a piece of the BDSM sub-culture. So all of what you can find online about Gor- beyond direct quotes from the books- is a creation of someone other than the author (I have an idea to write about fanfic and what people do with an artist's output.)

In case you have no idea of the online world of Gor, let me explain some. First I'm going to share a funny- while my Master and I have been "quite Gorean" at times, I'm not allowed to go into Gorean chat rooms- the same holding for Vala, as is mentioned in a conversation between The Queen, Cara, and Vala in "book 4." My Master's chief complaint is how all "Free Men" must be called "Master" by all kajirae (IE slave girls)- this does come from the books. My Master is my only Master- He is understandably territorial when it comes to other males. Now I would further philosophize that, in the fictional world of Gor, Free Men have to do things, be strong in ways to remain free- there is male slavery in the world of Gor; it's just less common than female slavery. But basically, just because you can capitalize your name doesn't make you free.

Something I find interesting is that there are people who identify as Gorean, but don’t engage in much of the online stuff, preferring to bring as much of the philosophy or world view of Gorean culture into this world. In fact it was from such a friend that my Master was able to trade chainmaille work for the metal collar I know wear. I wish we could have continued living near enough for regular visits longer; sometimes I find the roleplay (online) too silly; IE paga doesn't exist. I serve my Master's preferred rum-and-cola.

I'm going to step into the story-world of The Queen and his slaves now. "But how is The Queen Gorean, my Lady?" Vala asks of Cara during the conversation that inspired this post. ( :D My Master said "It looks like you're thinking very hard" as I sat writing this). When you get to read book 4, I'm sure you'll enjoy how The Queen deals with her question. In many ways, "Gor" is a structure, a way of "doing things." There are lists of things expected, whether you identify as a Free Person (and do notice the capitalization) or a kajira/kajirus (female/male slave). Like it's expected a slave won't touch his/her Master/Mistress without permission- this is one place The Queen most definitely isn't Gorean. He enjoys his slaves' touch too much to wait on such ceremony.

One big way The Queen is Gorean is the lack of safe words. Now as a 36 year old woman having lived her whole life in Michigan, it's only been in the last years thanks to the Internet that I even came to know the term consensual non-consent; I thought BDSM properly meant safe words and had simply accepted the fact that I didn't want "proper" BDSM. There is also a certain level of ritual in Gorean interactions- as in The Queen's household. I've enjoyed these often by reading "Gorean serves" online. Whether it's paga, "black tea (IE coffee), or food, there is a specific way it *should* be served to a Gorean Free Person. The ritual shows in many ways in The Queen's household- casual or formal meal, a slave sent to fetch The Queen or an upper class slave a drink.

In pondering this topic, I want search for books about Old Guard BDSM culture, not just websites (something I've viewed quite a few of). It was frustrating- I finally found a book by Guy Baldwin ("Ties that Bind"); I actually really want to buy it. Sighs, it's only available in paperback. I enjoyed reading an article by him (shared with his permission on a website) and gave my BR the link too :D. I just can't help educating. I think sometimes in our "rugged individualism" that's esteemed in the US, we loose some of the benefits of "community" and "family" as it's visible in cultures like Japan, some African cultures. I like the concept of "Ubuntu"- "I am because we are." Whether we call it "Gor" or "Old Guard," I think the notion of Ubuntu is the biggest difference between Gor, US culture, and The Queen's family.

How is The Queen Gorean? He takes care of his property. He expects things to be the way he wants it, that his slaves will make it that way as much as possible.

How is The Queen not Gorean? Sometimes life just happens- like him and Iona having a kid (that wouldn't happen in Gor because kajirae are given a 100% effective birth control that requires a "releasing agent" for them to bred and that only happens with male slaves, under the Masters' control) or how The Queen loves his slaves (it's a notion in the Gor books that loving one's slave can reduce the effectiveness of a Master.) But in The Queen's very not caring about others' opinions of him as a dominant, he reconfirms his Gorean-ness.

11 comments:

  1. I found this interesting Joelle,my knowledge of the World of Gor is very limited.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz. I had to laugh as I was sharing this with my BR- asked her, "Is there anything more that you'd like to know as I hardly brushed the surface of my Gor knowledge" :D

      Delete
  2. I love that you write about the less "maintstream" stuff, Joelle. And Gorean culture is definitely not "Book That Shall Not Be Named"-familiar, heh. Thank God. Also, the book you mentioned looks great! May have to order the paperback, although I did click the "Tell the publisher you want this in Kindle format" button, too. You should make yourself a wish list over there and drop huge hints to people. "I would really like to have this book instead of whatever else you were thinking of getting me." Snort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, I didn't even think to do the "tell the publisher you want..." I may have to go back and do that. but thanks for the comment and the love, Sheri :D Well you might be pleased to know that this whole thing comes from a little scene in Vala's Story where I have fun with a character who styles herself a Free Woman and has brought some Gorean stuff into her interactions with her slaves. I had so much fun. and I hardly noticed the typo.

      Delete
  3. Oh for fuck's sake "mainstream." Typo, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to hear a lot about the Gor books and the Gorean way of life back when I was an avid chatter on yahoo. It's amazing what he books started and how people have incorporated some of his idea's into their own lifestyles. He created an amazing world with the Gor books. I enjoy his structuralism and world building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, LA. I find I often enjoy his pages of anthropology even more than the limited sex scenes he was able to put into his books. I think the end of the lesson is, if you try to be too "true the books" you end up not true at all :D

      Delete
  5. There is such a wonderful and inducing flavor to the Gorean culture and ideal, almost mystical for many a BDSM enthusiast... I read many parts of The Chronicles of Gor series, early on and the imprint and design carved out still resonate in such a unique and endearing way for me... They are not for everyone and yet the do give such an example and thrust to the Dominant and submissive sub-culture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the ritual, well reading, writing it. I know my health is such that ritual of the level in the books, especially that online, it more than I can handle. I find in a way they support my feelings as a female submissive; too many of those who say they are feminists still harass a woman such as men.

      Delete
  6. I only know the bare bones of the Gor books, and enjoyed learning more here! I also hope to read the "Ties That Bind" book soon, it sounds very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, eubound. I always love teaching :) Yes, I so want to read Guy Baldwin's "Ties That Bind"- all the stuff that I read about the book, Old Guard culture in researching for this was so interesting

      Delete