Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Top, bottom; gay, BDSM

I just finished re-writing a scene for "Skipping Down the Primrose Path: Book Three." Wonder why I rewrote it? Well there were lots of reasons really. I realized that I hadn't adequately dealt with issues of consent, that I hadn't given a believable amount of preparation for an anal virgin's first time. There was also the fact that this scene is in The Queen's POV and I wanted to share some of his thoughts, show sides of him that Vala wouldn't necessarily see as his slave.

But as I was reading the beginning of the scene, I realized one extreme flaw in my perspective reading this scene. The words top and bottom are used by both the gay (especially male) culture and the BDSM community; according to this Wikipedia article on the subject, it's thought that in terms of BDSM culture that it's loan word from the gay culture. The Queen is a BDSM top as is Prince Synn. In terms of the sex that The Queen has with his male slaves, he is both a BDSM and a gay top- meaning that he is the sexual partner doing the penetrating. My problem in writing the scene came with Synn; in my head, I pictured him as a bottom, from both cultural perspectives. However, being a bottom in gay culture doesn't necessarily mean "submissive"- it just means being the one who receives penetration.


So in the re-write, I made Synn a more active participant :D Please enjoy this little lightly edited snippet :)


"If you want it to stop at any time just tell me," The Queen said as he closed his bedroom door and returned to the bed. He pressed Synn down onto the bed and sat next to him.

"No safe word?" Synn joked.

"Do you want one?" The Queen traced Synn's lips with a finger. "Is this BDSM? Two friends enjoying sex?"

Synn pressed a kiss against the finger. "Uh, enjoying sex?"

The Queen arched his eyebrow.

"Vanilla. At least to start." Synn drew in a deep breath and then slowly released it. "Stop's enough. For now."

2 comments:

  1. Interesting intro Joelle, I hadn't really thought and the meaning of the terms top and bottom on the BDSM and Gay cultures. I can understand this posing challenges for an author in scenes where the two combine.

    Great snippet. I think it illustrates your point really well.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment, Roz. The silly thing is, I already knew this, of how both cultures use the words, sometimes with similar meanings but not always. But yes, I wound up with a longer, more descriptive scene in part because I remembered this simple fact. It was just so difficult with the different pieces of these men's identities.

      Delete