Warning

WARNING

This blog will contain...
...profanity, sexually explicit dialog andadult imagery.
If you are under 18 and/or offended by this...
THIS IS NOT THE BLOG YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Thanks fiona, from "Sir Q and Me" for the warning message that just makes me melt. :)

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

No, female/female stories shouldn't have to have a warning label- people should grow up

yes, maybe my title isn't a good teaching tool to deal with homophobic people, but my tolerance for such is pretty low at the moment.



So I may wander a bit and you'll most certainly be given links to follow. I may even find I need to do two posts.

Let's start with the recently released "Milestones"-a DD anthology. One reader gave it a three star review, based largely on the fact that she didn't like Anastasia Vitsky's female/female story "The First Submission," which is a prequel to her "Becoming Clissine," the first book in her Bastia series. Her plan for the series is to look at a world where heterosexuality is illegal and against the religion of the world. Yes- for my regular readers- you'll get to read my review soon for "Milestone," which I'm reading and enjoying at the moment as well as "Becoming Clissine," when I can get it onto my reading schedule as it's already on my Kindle.

I've posted about Anastasia before on my blog; I appreciated meeting her shortly after I started hanging out in the spanking community. She started off with the focus on non-sexual female/female spanking fiction- this made her very unique in a male/female dominated gender. Being a queer female myself, I often relied on Anastasia'sblog and books to "get my f/f fix"- whether she was writing something sexual or not. Now I think it was Alta Hensley- another author in the story who just happens to write m/f fiction- who talked about not wanting to put a warning or to exclude Anastasia's story from the anthology- that what ever the genders involved, the book was meant to be a domestic discipline anthology and all perspectives were welcome. I like that. I don't think they should have had to warn "there's two women getting it on" for some person's delicate sensibilities who happens to think that "lesbian sex is icky"- yes, I've seen grown adults type that phrase. Pisses me off!

Now this comes on the heels of the Love Spanks blog hop. Anastasia puts in some amazing work to organize different hops for the spanking community. This one was focused on female/female spanking fiction. While you can't take part in the prize earning at this point, you can still follow the links to read the stories of all the authors who took part. I was sad that I didn't really have anything sizable that was "just f/f" to share; you see, at least in Vala's Story, which is my current focus, the genders are all around. There's The Queen, the cisgender male. Vala, a cisgender female, and her cis female domme Iona. A score of guys that are The Queen's slaves. Lady Audrey, the transgender female friend and lover of The Queen. Sometimes, based on what I share on the various blog hops I take part in, it can look like I write a lot more male/female and male/male. Of course now I'm fixing that :D. I did win a prize in the Love Spanks blog hop, but more than that, after reading all that f/f fiction for Love Spanks, I wanted to write some of my own. So I've taken an all female triad from The Queen's stable and I'm writing a novella with the three lovely ladies.

So yes, females involved in romantic or sexual situations are a taboo to some people. As I say in my blurb in the margin, we need to learn to move past taboos.


A final thought, I read a blogpost about taboos that announces an upcoming series on Jolynn Raymond's blog. Here's the link for you. I think I have some more to say about taboos, but I'm going to save that until next week because, yes, it pisses me off how the label of taboo comes with such judgment and any number and gender of people in love, even two women, is a beautiful thing to be respected in my less than humbled opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Joelle *claps* very well said! I have told Ana this, but I was one of those people who thought of FF as 'icky' but thankfully, thanks to Ana and her writing I have had my eyes opened.

    I find it sad that there was even any suggestion that Milestones should contain a warning. I am currently reading and enjoying it too and will also be posting a review. I look forward to reading your review and snippets from your FF novella :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it wasn't so much a suggestion as I was pondering maybe a warning would have helped. But really, Alta's right, no warning should have been needed.

      But you know, Roz, the way I think about you having thought FF stories were icky, in all likelihood, you never got the chance to read them before finding Ana's books- it's not like that many are writing DD/spanking fiction that focuses on FF. I'm sure you're familiar with the part of Ana's story where she shares that "people" told her that FF stories wouldn't sell? I for one am grateful that she persevered.

      On "Milestones"- after having skipped ahead to read Ana's story, I started at the beginning and I'm in Renee's story atm. I'm loving Luis' "DD boot camp" :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Joelle. I am also one who doesn't believe in putting warnings on books. I would think the readers are familiar enough with the authors to know Ana always writes FF. This is the 21st century. Get over it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, especially since everything I've seen about "Milestones" has talked about it being a sequel to "Coming to Terms," where Ana also had a FF story. And as we all know with Ana, "The First Submission" wasn't even a particularly graphic story. but yeah, Ana's story is a DD story. It belongs. There shouldn't even be a question about if it belongs or not and that woman's review really pisses me off still

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you agree. I would hate to see a warning. It would remind me of "blacks sit in the back of the bus" thinking. The book is inclusive and I'm proud that the publisher chose to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, sometimes I get stuck in these thoughts between "as an author wanting to sell books" and as a person who has been made "other" at times and is committed to social justice work. It's like how I debated the length of my "how I see things" blurb in my right margin. I started to saw "I should edit, make it shorter" and my BR said, "no leave it like it is. people should read your statement." And yes, I'm glad that LazyDay put it out just the way it is :)

      Delete